Saint Nahi’s Cemetery
We provide Saint Nahi’s cemetery headstones, memorials and renovations & additional inscriptions.
Located at Churchtown Rd Upper, Churchtown Lower, Dublin 14. Saint Nahi’s cemetery is maintained and owned by the local Church Of Ireland community. There are currently over 10,000 burials that have been recorded, with the earliest visible gravestone dating back to 1734. Many Irish Republican graves lie within the graveyard, including the gravestones of Lorcain McSuibhne, a member of the Irish Republican Army killed in 1922 in Kildare (his funeral occurred at St. Nahi’s and there exists photographic evidence of Éamon de Valera in attendance) and of James Burke, who was killed in Croke Park on Bloody Sunday.
The graveyard also contains many Royal Irish Constabulary Officers and Freemasons. There is one War grave. Sgt. William Anthony Kavanagh, RAF Volunteer Reserve, age 24, died 23 Sep 1944 as a result of a cycling accident while home on holiday, son of William and Mary Kavanagh of Balally. The site also contains the grave of the Irish physicist George Johnstone Stoney, who died in London in 1911. His ashes were brought back to be with his wife, mother and sister. His cousin Robert Stoney was a local curate when his wife died. As the churchyard predates the disestablishment of the Church of Ireland in 1869, it is open for burial to all those who live within the boundaries of the Parish of Taney, whatever their denomination.
Notable persons buried here include,